Our ophthalmologists at Onslow Memorial specialize in the full spectrum of eye care needs, from conducting routine eye exams to performing complex and delicate eye surgery. Our doctors are experts on the complicated anatomy of the eye and are trained to treat eye diseases both medically and surgically. Outpatient eye surgery is performed at our ambulatory center, SurgiCare of Jacksonville. These surgeries include cataract surgery, glaucoma procedures, eyelid surgery and pterygium surgery.
Cataract Surgery is the most common procedure, and our ophthalmologists perform over 1000 surgeries per year. Cataract surgery removes the clouded lens from the eye through a tiny incision. Ultrasound energy is used to remove the cataract and an artificial lens is placed in the eye. The surgery is performed under light sedation.
There are several replacement lens options which are offered at our facility which include:
- Monofocal lenses - This standard lens is covered by most insurance companies. In most cases you may need a thin pair of glasses to correct distance, intermediate, and/or near vision.
- Astigmatism-Correcting lenses - Toric lenses incorporate astigmatism correction into the artificial lens. Most of ten the lens is targeted for distance vision so reading glasses may still be needed. The extra charge for this lens is typically not covered by insurance.
- Presbyopia-Correcting lenses - Multifocal lenses correct presyopia, the loss of near vision due to the natural aging of the eye. These lenses can correct for distance, intermediate, and near vision. It may still be necessary to wear prescription glasses occasionaly but most people who receive these lenses are free of glasses for most activities. The extra charge for this lens is not covered by insurance.
- Ear, Nose and Throat & Audiology
- Emergency Medicine
- Internal Medicine
- Laboratory Services
- Lung Screening
- Pain Management
- Pediatrics and Neonatology
- Plastic Surgery
- Primary Care
- Radiation Oncology
- Stroke Care
- Surgical Services
- Women's Services
- Wound Care